Friday, March 23, 2012

disaster in the kitchen...

Today was my bakery final and boy oh boy how stressful it was. I had to make pastry cream, flaky pie crust and an eight inch round cake. I had to have the mixing method for each product memorized because when my teacher hands me the formula I should know exactly how to make it. Oh, and it make it harder, I had no idea what cake I was going to make until I stepped into class. Did I mention that each cake has a different mixing method? Oh and did I tell you that I suck a math and because I suck as math I suck at baking. I became an art major to avoid math, but somehow it snuck back into my life. So that's where the big disaster came in, math. I was stressing and stressing about the cake because I was doing a yellow cake with a two stage mixing method and I could not, for the life of me, memorize that method. So I just go for it. I get the batter made, throw it in the oven (not literally because that's not profes baking), and 30 minutes later.....




Delicious huh? No biggie, my profes said that I wouldn't get much points deducted because she didn't catch my math error. Honestly and truly, her words, "I want you to succeed. It's my fault." So my final went well...did great on the pastry cream, good on the pie crust, and my profes saved my butt on my science experiment of a cake. Literally a science experience because I put in 10 times the baking powder  when I was suppose to decrease the amount for altitude. Who knew that 3.1 oz instead of .31 oz would be such a disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment